Machine Learning Mastery With R
Discover The Most Popular Machine Learning Platform
With Step-By-Step Tutorials And End-To-End Projects
R has been the gold standard in applied machine learning for a long time. Surveys show that it is the most popular platform used by professional data scientists. It is also preferred by the best data scientists in the world.
In this mega Ebook written in the friendly Machine Learning Mastery style that you’re used to, learn how to get started, practice and apply machine learning using the R platform.
- 224 Page PDF Ebook.
- 14 step-by-step tutorial lessons.
- 3 end-to-end projects.
- 85 R scripts.
Bring Machine Learning With R To Your Projects
Click to jump straight to the packages.
You Need R to Really Kick Ass at Applied Machine Learning
…But You Don’t Want to Deep-Dive into Theory or Language Syntax
Professional developers can pick-up R fast…
As a developer, you know how to pick up a new programming language quickly. Once you know how to define a function, use some loops and look-up at the API documentation, you’re off.
You have no interest in spending days or weeks of your time learning the intricate syntax of yet another language – especially when that language looks like every other one you’ve ever used.
When you already know some machine learning, R is a super power…
As someone who knows a little machine learning, you know that what matters in applied predictive modeling is working through problems systematically. Through careful trial and error you must discover the data transforms and algorithms that are best for your dataset.
You have no interest in yet another slow and plodding introduction to machine learning.
You really need to know how R maps onto the tasks of a machine learning project…
What you really need is a clear and straight forward presentation of how to complete each step of an applied machine learning project using the best packages and functions on the R platform.
Introducing Machine Learning Mastery With R.
In this new Ebook, Machine Learning Mastery With R will break down exactly what steps you need to do in a predictive modeling machine learning project and walk you through step-by-step exactly how to do it in R.
With the help of 3 larger end-to-end project tutorials and a reusable project template, you will tie all of the steps back together and confidently know how to complete your own machine learning projects. The true fact of the matter is this:
When Machine Learning in R is Done Right,
It Makes Working Through Projects Shockingly… Fast and Fun!
There’s a reason that R is the most popular platform for applied machine learning for professional data scientists. What do you think that reason is?
- Why would someone choose to use a language where a strange arrow operator (<-) is used for assignment?
- Why would professionals put up with 20 ways to do each task, when other platforms offer just one?
- Why would data scientists invest so much time into reading the documentation for third-party R packages when other platforms have much better doco?
Any ideas why?
R is a like a candy shop… for data scientists
For applied machine learning the R platform is like a candy shop with rows and rows of thousands of colorful sweets to try. There are packages and functions for every possible algorithm, statistical method and technique you have heard of (and hundreds you haven’t).
R is the power tool of power tools… for machine learning
But R is also like a massive Tesla coil with huge bolts of electricity arching, bagging and popping above your head, and you’re at the controls. Academics are developing and releasing state-of-the-art machine learning algorithms as R packages all the time. With a few simple lines of code you can download these algorithms first, before any other platform, and run them on your data.
Use machine learning algorithms in the way that the people that thought them up intended. No waiting around for a sleepy development team to wake up, hear about the algorithm and eventually port it across. It’s ready for you to use, right there in your R interactive environment.
Machine Learning Mastery With R Is Designed for Fast Moving
Developers that Already Know a Little Machine Learning Like You…
So what is the missing gap here?
The gap is that you don’t know how to get started with R. You may have tried watching videos. You may have tried a tutorial or two. You may have even tried another book. Everyone has an idea on the parts, but now one is putting it all together…
You need a complete solution… lessons on the parts and end-to-end projects
To bridge the gap between a burning desire to use R for machine learning and actually delivering accurate predictions reliably on project after project you need to stop trying to work from bits and pieces. You need a complete solution.
You need to know what the professionals know. Without investing years of your life figuring it all out.
Everything You Need to Know to Work Through Predictive Modeling Projects in R
You Will Get:
14 Lessons on Machine Learning with R
3 Project Tutorials that Tie it All Together
This ebook was written around two themes designed to get you started and using machine learning with R effectively and quickly.
These two parts are Lessons and Projects:
- Lessons: Learn how the sub-tasks of applied machine learning map onto the R and the best practice way of working through each task.
- Projects: Tie together all of the knowledge from the lessons by working through case study predictive modeling problems.
Here is an overview of the step-by-step lessons you will complete:
- Lesson 1: How to Install and Start R.
- Lesson 2: How to Navigate The R Programming Language.
- Lesson 3: How to Load Standard Machine Learning Datasets.
- Lesson 4: How to Load Your Own Custom Machine Learning Data.
- Lesson 5: How to Understand Data With Descriptive Statistics.
- Lesson 6: How to Understand Data Using Data Visualization.
- Lesson 7: How to Pre-Process Data Ready for Modeling.
- Lesson 8: How to Estimate Model Skill Using Resampling Methods.
- Lesson 9: How To Use Different Algorithm Evaluation Metrics.
- Lesson 10: How to Spot-Check Machine Learning Algorithms.
- Lesson 11: How to Compare and Choose the Best Models.
- Lesson 12: How to Improve Results with Algorithm Parameter Tuning.
- Lesson 13: How to Improve Results with Ensemble Methods.
- Lesson 14: How to Finalize Model Ready To Make Predictions on New Data.
Each lesson was designed to be completed in about 30 minutes by the average developer.
Here is an overview of the 3 end-to-end projects you will complete:
- Project 1: Multiclass Classification of Flower Species.
- Project 2: Regression of Boston House Prices.
- Project 3: Classification of Breast Cancer.
- Bonuses: 1) Project Templte and 2) More Project Ideas.
Each project was designed to be completed in about 60 minutes by the average developer.
Here’s Everything You’ll Get…
in Machine Learning Mastery With R
A digital download that contains everything you need, including:
- Clear descriptions that help you to understand the principles that underlie the platform.
- Step-by-step R tutorials to show you exactly how to apply each technique and algorithm.
- End-to-end R projects that show you exactly how to tie the pieces together and get a result.
- R source code recipes for every example in the book so that you can run the tutorial and project code in seconds.
- Digital Ebook in PDF format so that you can have the book open side-by-side with the code and see exactly how each example works.
Resources you need to go deeper, when you need to, including:
- Top machine learning textbooks to deepen your foundation of R and machine learning, if you crave more.
- The best places online where you can ask your challenging questions and actually get a response.
Tutorials for getting started and data preparation, including:
- The installation of the R platform and the 3 ways you can run an R script.
- The R language syntax crash course and how to install the packages you need.
- The standard machine learning datasets and why they are so important when practicing in R.
- The loading of data from CSV or URL and the important foundation this lays for loading your own data.
- The calculation of descriptive statistics and the 8 techniques you need to use to understand your data.
- The visualization of your data and the 9 plots you need to get insights into your predictive modeling problem.
- The data preparation process and the 8 methods you must consider before modeling your problem.
Lessons on applied machine learning with the R platform, including:
- The importance of estimating model performance on unseen data and 5 techniques you need to do so.
- The metrics used to measure model performance and which ones to use for regression and classification problems.
- The necessity of not assuming a solution, the spot checking method and 8 linear and nonlinear algorithm recipes you can use immediately.
- The comparison and selection of trained models and 8 techniques to help you choose.
- The tuning of machine learning algorithm hyperparameters and 3 different methods to apply.
- The performance benefits of combining the predictions from many models and the 3 ensemble algorithms you must consider.
- The finalization of a trained model to save it to file and later load it to make new predictions on unseen data.
Projects that tie together the lessons into end-to-end sequence to deliver a result, including:
- – The project template that you can use to jump-start any predictive modeling problem in R.
- The first machine learning project in R for multi-class classification that provides a gentle guide as to how the lessons tie together.
- The regression project to predict house prices that shows the improvements of data transforms, tuning and ensemble methods.
- The binary classification problem that predicts breast cancer showing the judicious use of algorithm tuning and ensemble algorithms.
- The selection of extra predictive modeling projects that can be used for ongoing practice to build up a portfolio of work.
What More Do You Need?
Take a Sneak Peek Inside the Ebook
BONUS: Machine Learning With R Code Recipies
…you also get 85 fully working R scripts
Each recipe presented in the book is standalone, meaning that you can copy and paste it into your project and use it immediately.
- You get one R script (.R) for each example provided in the book.
- You get my own person R library of R scripts.
Your R Machine Learning Code Recipe Library covers the following topics:
- Loading Data
- Data Summarization
- Data Visualization
- Data Cleaning
- Feature Selection
- Machine Learning Algorithms
- Ensemble Algorithms
- Resampling Methods
- Evaluation Metrics
- Model Selection
- Hyperparameter Tuning
- Making Predictions
- Saving Your Model
- And More….
This means that you can follow along and compare your answers to a known working implementation of each algorithm in the provided R files.
This helps a lot to speed up your progress when working through the details of a specific task.
About The Author
Hi, I'm Jason Brownlee.
I live in Australia with my wife and son and love to write and code.
I have a computer science background as well as a Masters and Ph.D. degree in Artificial Intelligence.
I’ve written books on algorithms, won and ranked in the top 10% in machine learning competitions, consulted for startups and spent a long time working on systems for forecasting tropical cyclones. (yes I have written tons of code that runs operationally)
I get a lot of satisfaction helping developers get started and get really good at machine learning.
I teach an unconventional top-down and results-first approach to machine learning where we start by working through tutorials and problems, then later wade into theory as we need it.
I'm here to help if you ever have any questions. I want you to be awesome at machine learning.
Get Your Sample Chapter
Want to take a look at the Ebook? Download a free sample chapter PDF.
Enter your email address and your sample chapter will be sent to your inbox.
Check Out What Customers Are Saying:
You're Not Alone in Choosing Machine Learning Mastery
Trusted by Over 10,000 Practitioners
...including employees from companies like:
...students and faculty from universities like:
and many thousands more...
Absolutely No Risk with...
100% Money Back Guarantee
Plus, as you should expect of any great product on the market, every Machine Learning Mastery Ebook
comes with the surest sign of confidence: my gold-standard 100% money-back guarantee.
100% Money-Back Guarantee
If you're not happy with your purchase of any of the Machine Learning Mastery Ebooks,
just email me within 90 days of buying, and I'll give you your money back ASAP.
No waiting. No questions asked. No risk.
Discover the Machine Learning Platform Preferred By the
Top Data Scientists in the World
Choose Your Package:
You will get:
- Machine Learning Mastery With R
(including bonus source code)
(a great deal!)
All prices are in US Dollars (USD).
(1) Click the button. (2) Enter your details. (3) Download immediately.
Secure Payment Processing With SSL Encryption
Are you a Student, Teacher or Retiree?
Do you have any Questions?
What Are Skills in Machine Learning Worth?
Your boss asks you:
Hey, can you build a predictive model for this?
Imagine you had the skills and confidence to say:
...and follow through.
I have been there. It feels great!
How much is that worth to you?
The industry is demanding skills in machine learning.
The market wants people that can deliver results, not write academic papers.
Business knows what these skills are worth and are paying sky-high starting salaries.
A Data Scientists Salary Begins at:
$100,000 to $150,000.
A Machine Learning Engineers Salary is Even Higher.
What Are Your Alternatives?
You made it this far.
You're ready to take action.
But, what are your alternatives? What options are there?
(1) A Theoretical Textbook for $100+
...it's boring, math-heavy and you'll probably never finish it.
(2) An On-site Boot Camp for $10,000+
...it's full of young kids, you must travel and it can take months.
(3) A Higher Degree for $100,000+
...it's expensive, takes years, and you'll be an academic.
For the Hands-On Skills You Get...
And the Speed of Results You See...
And the Low Price You Pay...
Machine Learning Mastery Ebooks are
And they work. That's why I offer the money-back guarantee.
You're A Professional
The field moves quickly,
...how long can you wait?
You think you have all the time in the world, but...
- New methods are devised and algorithms change.
- New books get released and prices increase.
- New graduates come along and jobs get filled.
Right Now is the Best Time to make your start.
Bottom-up is Slow and Frustrating,
...don't you want a faster way?
Can you really go on another day, week or month...
- Scraping ideas and code from incomplete posts.
- Skimming theory and insight from short videos.
- Parsing Greek letters from academic textbooks.
Targeted Training is your Shortest Path to a result.
Professionals Use Training To Stay On Top Of Their Field
Get The Training You Need!
You don't want to fall behind or miss the opportunity.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why doesn't my payment work?
I am sorry to hear that you're having difficulty.
- Perhaps you can double check that your details are correct, just in case of a typo?
- Perhaps you could try a different payment method, such as PayPal or Credit Card?
- Perhaps you could try my alternative secure payment processor, click here?
- Perhaps you're able to talk to your bank, just in case they blocked the transaction?
If you're still having difficulty, please contact me and I can help investigate further.
Can I get your books for free?
Sorry, I don’t give away free copies of my books.
You can access all of my best free material on my blog.
Can I get a hard copy of your book?
Sorry, I don't have hard copies by design.
The books are written for immediate use, rather than references to sit on the shelf.
My students like to have the PDF open on their screen next to their editor so they can copy-paste code.
Also, the books are updated often to reflect changes to APIs. The field is moving very fast.
I hope that helps explain the rationale.
Are there Kindle or ePub versions of the books?
Sorry, just PDF Ebooks.
This is by design and I put a lot of thought into it. My rationale is as follows:
- I use LaTeX to layout the text and code to give a professional look and I am afraid that EBook readers would mess this up.
- The increase in supported formats would create a maintenance headache that would take a large amount of time away from updating the books and working on new books.
- Most critically, reading on an e-reader or iPad is antithetical to the book-open-next-to-code-editor approach the PDF format was chosen to support.
My materials are playbooks intended to be open on the computer, next to a text editor and a command line. They are not reference texts to be read away from the computer.
Will I get free updates to the books?
All updates are free.
Books are usually updated once every month or two to fix bugs, typos and keep abreast of API changes.
Contact me anytime and check if there have been updates. Let me know what version of the book you have (version is listed on the copyright page).
How do I get access to any bonuses?
After you complete your purchase you will receive an email with a link to download your bundle.
The download will include the book or books and any bonus material.
Is there any digital rights management (DRM)?
Can I print the PDF for my personal use?
In what order should I read your books?
My best advice is to pick a topic that most interests you and start there.
Can I get a customized bundle of books?
Sorry, I cannot create custom bundles of books for you, it would create a maintenance nightmare for me. I’m sure you can understand.
You can see the full catalog of my books and bundles here.
Can I get an evaluation copy of your books?
Sorry, I no longer distribute evaluation copies of my books due to some past abuse of the privilege.
If you are a teacher or lecturer, I’m happy to offer you a student discount.
Contact me and ask for the discount.
Can I get an invoice for my purchase?
Email me with the details of your order (order number or email address used to make the purchase) and details you would like to appear on the invoice (your name, company name and address).
I will create a PDF invoice for you and email it back.
How long do books take to ship?
There are no physical books, therefore no shipping is required.
All books are EBooks that you can download immediately after you complete your purchase.
Do you ship to my country?
There are no physical books, therefore no shipping is required.
All books are EBooks that you can download immediately after you complete your purchase.
I support purchases from any country via PayPal or Credit Card.
Can I have a discount?
I do offer a discount to students, teachers, and retirees.
Note: I only offer discounts on individual books, not on the bundles. This is because the bundles are already heavily discounted.
If you are a student, teacher or a retiree please contact me and ask for the discount.
Do you have any sales, deals, or coupons?
I generally don't do sales.
If I do have a special, such as around the launch of a new book, I only offer it to past customers and subscribers on my email list.
I do offer book bundles that offer a discount for a collection of related books.
Can I get a refund?
I am sorry to hear that you want a refund.
Please contact me directly with your purchase details (order number or email address used to make the purchase) and I will organize a refund.
Will you help me if I have questions?
Please contact me anytime with questions about machine learning or the books.
One question at a time please.
Also, each book has a final chapter on getting more help and further reading and points to resources that you can use to get more help.
Do I need to be a good programmer?
Not at all.
My material requires that you have a programmers mindset of thinking in procedures and learning by doing.
You do not need to be an excellent programmer to read and learn about machine learning algorithms.
How much math do I need to know?
No background in statistics, probability or linear algebra is required.
I teach using a top-down and results-first approach to machine learning. You will learn by doing, not learn by theory.
There are no derivations.
Any questions presented are explained in full and are only provided to make the explanation clearer, not more confusing.
How much machine learning do I need to know?
Only a little.
If you are a reader of my blog posts, then you know enough to get started.
I do my best to lead you through what you need to know, step-by-step.
How long will the book take me to complete?
I recommend reading one chapter per day.
Some students finish the book in a weekend.
Most students finish the book in a few weeks by working through it during nights and weekends.
How are your books different to other books?
My books are playbooks. Not textbooks.
They have no deep explanations of theory, just working examples that are laser-focused on the information that you need to know to bring machine learning to your project.
My books are not for everyone, they are carefully designed for practitioners that need to get results, fast.
How are your books different from the blog?
The books are a concentrated and more convenient version of what I put on the blog.
I design my books to be a combination of lessons and projects to teach you how to use a specific machine learning tool or library and then apply it to real predictive modeling problems.
The books get updated with bug fixes, updates for API changes and the addition of new chapters, and these updates are totally free.
I do put some of the book chapters on the blog as examples, but they are not tied to the surrounding chapters or the narrative that a book offers and do not offer the standalone code files.
With each book, you also get all of the source code files used in the book that you can use as recipes to jump-start your own predictive modeling problems.
How are the 2 algorithms books different?
The book “Master Machine Learning Algorithms” is for programmers and non-programmers alike that learn through worked examples. It teaches you how 10 top machine learning algorithms work, with worked examples in arithmetic, not code (and spreadsheets) that show how each model learns and makes predictions.
The book “Machine Learning Algorithms From Scratch” is for programmers that learn by writing code to understand. It provides step-by-step tutorials on how to implement top algorithms as well as how to load data, evaluate models and more. It has less on how the algorithms work, instead focusing exclusively on how to implement each in code.
The two books can support each other.
Is there a team or company-wide license?
Due to abuse of the privilege, I only support purchases by individuals.
Is there a license for libraries?
Sorry, I only support purchases by individuals.
Do you have videos?
I only have tutorial lessons and projects in text format.
This is by design. I used to have video content and I found the completion rate much lower.
I want you to put the material into practice. I have found that text-based tutorials are the best way of achieving this.
After reading and working through the tutorials you are far more likely to apply what you have learned.
What operating systems are supported?
Linux, Mac OS X and Windows.
Can you be my mentor or coach?
Thanks for asking. I would love to help, but I just don't have the capacity.
I try to help as many people as possible through my blog and books.
Can I purchase from Amazon (or elsewhere)?
My books can only be purchased from my website.
The reason is that I am a small business and I want a direct relationship with you, my customer, so that I can offer personal support and send out updates about your book and new stuff I am working on.
I hope you can understand my rationale.
What if my download link expires?
It is possible that your link to download your purchase will expire after a few days.
This is a security precaution.
Please contact me and I will resend you purchase receipt with an updated download link.
Can I use your code in my own project?
But, understand that all code was developed and provided for educational purposes only and that I take no responsibility for it, what it might do or how you might use it.
Do you have another question?