Machine Learning Algorithms From Scratch
Discover How to Code Machine Algorithms
From First Principles With Pure Python and
Use them on Real-World Datasets
You must understand algorithms to get good at machine learning.
The problem is that they are only ever explained using Math. No longer.
In this mega Ebook written in the friendly Machine Learning Mastery style that you’re used to, finally cut through the math and learn exactly how machine learning algorithms work.
Using clear explanations, simple pure Python code (no libraries!) and step-by-step tutorials you will discover how to load and prepare data, evaluate model skill, and implement a suite of linear, nonlinear and ensemble machine learning algorithms from scratch.
- 234 Page PDF Ebook.
- 12 Top Algorithms.
- 66 Python Recipes.
- 18 Step-by-Step Tutorials.
No Math. No Libraries. No Hidden Details.
Click to jump straight to the packages.
You Learn Best By Implementing Algorithms From Scratch
…But You Need Help With The First Step
Developers Learn Best By Trying Things Out…
If you’re like me, you don’t really understand something until you can implement it from scratch.
You need to understand each piece before you can understand the whole thing.
The same applies to machine learning algorithms.
You won’t feel like you really understand machine learning algorithms until you can put them together yourself.
Without the tools and fancy libraries.
Math Can Really Slow You Down…
The problem is, machine learning algorithms are only ever described using math.
It’s all Greek letters, it’s a pain to read and understand and this can really sap your motivation.
You simply don’t have the time to study 4 years of advanced math just to implement some algorithms.
You don’t need a degree in computer science to implement bubble sort and understand how it works. You just read a simple explanation and implement it in a few lines of code.
Why can’t implementing machine learning algorithms be the same?
You Need Clear Step-By-Step Tutorials…
What is missing is a set of step-by-step tutorials that lay it all out.
You don’t need to know the mathematical reason why machine learning algorithms work. You need a clear explanation of how they work so you can turn that into code.
You need each step of the learning and prediction spelled out super simple so you can write a small function that does the same thing and write a little test to confirm it works.
It’s the same way we learn anything when programming. Piece-by-piece.
Put a few of these pieces together and you have a world-class machine learning algorithm.
Introducing: “Machine Learning Algorithms From Scratch“
This is the book that I wish I had when starting out.
It is designed for exactly the way developers like you learn.
The book works through how to write small functions to load data and prepare it for learning.
There are tutorials on how to evaluate predictions and evaluate the performance of machine learning models.
Then there’s a suite of tutorials on how to implement linear, nonlinear and even ensemble machine learning algorithms from scratch.
- Each tutorial is written in Python. This is the growing and soon to be the dominant programming language for applied machine learning and data science.
- Each tutorial uses the standard library. There is no NumPy, no SciPy, no Scikit-Learn and no other advanced libraries to hide the details.
- Each tutorial is standalone. Everything you need to understand and run an algorithm is right there, no flipping back and forth through the book to piece it together yourself.
- Each tutorial is super simple. Code does not use fancy Python tricks that are hard to read and even harder to understand. I’ve opted for simple loops and the simplest data structures to help even Python novices see exactly what is going on.
- Each tutorial actually works. Each function is added one at a time with full explanation and spot testing. Nothing is sprung on you and all the code works with sample output for you to compare to.
‘Machine Learning Algorithms From Scratch‘ is for Python Programmers
…with NO background in Math
…and BIG enthusiasm for machine learning
Machine Learning Algorithms From Scratch was designed for you.
This is the book that you have been looking for.
The book that finally unlocks how machine learning algorithms work.
- You don’t need the math. Everything is explained in simple words, and we work in the language you do know: code.
- You don’t need to be a Python master. All the code examples are clear and simple and no confusing Python tricks and clever shortcuts are used.
- You don’t need to know machine learning. That is why you need this book, to make your start and finally discover how machine learning algorithms actually work.
- You don’t need a ton of time. Each tutorial was designed for you to complete in 30 minutes to 60 minutes, and you could easily work through the book in 2 weeks at nights and weekend (or one power weekend as some like to do).
- You don’t need to break the bank. Put back the $100+ machine learning textbooks and get started with a book designed for you in your language of tutorials, explanations and working code.
Let’s take a closer look at the breakdown of what you will discover inside this EBook.
Everything You Need To Know to Code
Machine Learning Algorithms From Scratch With Python
The tutorials were designed to cover the topics needed for applied machine learning projects.
They are presented in 4 main sections:
1. Data Preparation
- Load Data: How to load and manipulate data from the CSV standard file format.
- Data Scaling: How to prepare numerical data for learning algorithms.
- Algorithm Evaluation: Techniques for estimating the performance of algorithms on unseen data.
- Evaluation Metrics: Scoring methods to evaluate the skill of predictions made on new data.
- Baseline Models: Techniques that can establish the best worst case from which to improve on a problem.
2. Linear Algorithms
- Algorithm Test Harness: Drawing together the elements from the previous section to consistently and objectively evaluate different techniques on the same problem.
- Simple Linear Regression: For predicting numerical values when there is only a single input.
- Multivariate Linear Regression: For predicting numerical values with more than one input
(trained using StochasticGradient Descent).
- Logistic Regression: For predicting a class value on 2 class problems
(trained using Stochastic Gradient Descent).
- Perceptron: The simplest type of neural network for classification problems
(trained using StochasticGradient Descent).
3. Nonlinear Algorithms
- Classification and Regression Trees: Decision trees, in this case applied to classification problems.
- Naive Bayes: The very simple application of Bayes’ Theorem to classification problems.
- k-Nearest Neighbors: For predicting numerical or categorical outcomes directly from training data.
- Learning Vector Quantization: A type of neural network that is more efficient than k-Nearest Neighbors.
- Backpropagation: The most widely used type of artificial neural network that underlies the broader field of deep learning.
4. Ensemble Algorithms
- Bootstrap Aggregation: Also known as bagging that involves an ensemble of decision trees.
- Random Forest: An extension of bagging that results in faster training and better performance.
- Stacked Aggregation: An ensemble method also known as stacking or blending that learns how to best combine the perdictions from multiple models.
Below is a snapshot of the complete Table of Contents from the Ebook.
Each Algorithm is Demonstrated 2 Ways
1. Small Contrived Dataset
All algorithms are first developed and demonstrated on a small contrived dataset.
This is so that algorithms can be understood and demonstrated in isolation in a controlled environment.
2. Small Real-World Dataset
Each algorithm is then demonstrated on a small real world dataset from a range of different domains.
Problems were carefully selected from the UCI Machine Learning repository and all datasets are distributed with the book.
What More Do You Need?
Take a Sneak Peek Inside The Ebook
Click image to Enlarge.
BONUS: Machine Learning Algorithm Code Recipes
…you also get 66 fully working machine learning algorithm scripts
You also get a copy of all the code used in the book.
- Every small example as we develop machine learning algorithms.
- Each end-of-tutorial complete working example applied to a real world dataset.
Each code example in the book is standalone.
This means that it will run, as is, with nothing additional required.
The datasets used in each tutorial are also provided with the code, so no hunting down data from the web.
- You always have a version that works.
- You can compare your tutorial code with the finished working version.
- You can compare your results to the expected results as you work.
- You have a basis for developing your own extensions to the algorithms.
- You can adapt code and use them in your own projects immediately.
This is the beginning of your own Machine Learning Code Library, that you can develop further and leverage on your future projects.
- You get one Python code file (.py) for each example in the book.
- You get the real world dataset (.csv) used in each example in the book.
About The Author
Hi, I'm Jason Brownlee.
I live in Australia with my wife and son and love to write and code.
I have a computer science background as well as a Masters and Ph.D. degree in Artificial Intelligence.
I’ve written books on algorithms, won and ranked in the top 10% in machine learning competitions, consulted for startups and spent a long time working on systems for forecasting tropical cyclones. (yes I have written tons of code that runs operationally)
I get a lot of satisfaction helping developers get started and get really good at machine learning.
I teach an unconventional top-down and results-first approach to machine learning where we start by working through tutorials and problems, then later wade into theory as we need it.
I'm here to help if you ever have any questions. I want you to be awesome at machine learning.
Download Your Sample Chapter
Do you want to take a closer look at the book? Download a free sample chapter PDF.
Enter your email address and your sample chapter will be sent to your inbox.
Check Out What Customers Are Saying:
You're Not Alone in Choosing Machine Learning Mastery
Trusted by Over 10,000 Practitioners
...including employees from companies like:
...students and faculty from universities like:
and many thousands more...
Absolutely No Risk with...
100% Money Back Guarantee
Plus, as you should expect of any great product on the market, every Machine Learning Mastery Ebook
comes with the surest sign of confidence: my gold-standard 100% money-back guarantee.
100% Money-Back Guarantee
If you're not happy with your purchase of any of the Machine Learning Mastery Ebooks,
just email me within 90 days of buying, and I'll give you your money back ASAP.
No waiting. No questions asked. No risk.
Start Coding Machine Learning Algorithms Today!
Choose Your Package:
You will get:
- ML Algorithms From Scratch
(including bonus source code)
(a great deal!)
All prices are in US Dollars (USD).
(1) Click the button. (2) Enter your details. (3) Download immediately.
Secure Payment Processing With SSL Encryption
Are you a Student, Teacher or Retiree?
Do you have any Questions?
What Are Skills in Machine Learning Worth?
Your boss asks you:
Hey, can you build a predictive model for this?
Imagine you had the skills and confidence to say:
...and follow through.
I have been there. It feels great!
How much is that worth to you?
The industry is demanding skills in machine learning.
The market wants people that can deliver results, not write academic papers.
Business knows what these skills are worth and are paying sky-high starting salaries.
A Data Scientists Salary Begins at:
$100,000 to $150,000.
A Machine Learning Engineers Salary is Even Higher.
What Are Your Alternatives?
You made it this far.
You're ready to take action.
But, what are your alternatives? What options are there?
(1) A Theoretical Textbook for $100+
...it's boring, math-heavy and you'll probably never finish it.
(2) An On-site Boot Camp for $10,000+
...it's full of young kids, you must travel and it can take months.
(3) A Higher Degree for $100,000+
...it's expensive, takes years, and you'll be an academic.
For the Hands-On Skills You Get...
And the Speed of Results You See...
And the Low Price You Pay...
Machine Learning Mastery Ebooks are
And they work. That's why I offer the money-back guarantee.
You're A Professional
The field moves quickly,
...how long can you wait?
You think you have all the time in the world, but...
- New methods are devised and algorithms change.
- New books get released and prices increase.
- New graduates come along and jobs get filled.
Right Now is the Best Time to make your start.
Bottom-up is Slow and Frustrating,
...don't you want a faster way?
Can you really go on another day, week or month...
- Scraping ideas and code from incomplete posts.
- Skimming theory and insight from short videos.
- Parsing Greek letters from academic textbooks.
Targeted Training is your Shortest Path to a result.
Professionals Use Training To Stay On Top Of Their Field
Get The Training You Need!
You don't want to fall behind or miss the opportunity.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why doesn't my payment work?
I am sorry to hear that you're having difficulty.
- Perhaps you can double check that your details are correct, just in case of a typo?
- Perhaps you could try a different payment method, such as PayPal or Credit Card?
- Perhaps you could try my alternative secure payment processor, click here?
- Perhaps you're able to talk to your bank, just in case they blocked the transaction?
If you're still having difficulty, please contact me and I can help investigate further.
Can I get your books for free?
Sorry, I don’t give away free copies of my books.
You can access all of my best free material on my blog.
Can I get a hard copy of your book?
Sorry, I don't have hard copies by design.
The books are written for immediate use, rather than references to sit on the shelf.
My students like to have the PDF open on their screen next to their editor so they can copy-paste code.
Also, the books are updated often to reflect changes to APIs. The field is moving very fast.
I hope that helps explain the rationale.
Are there Kindle or ePub versions of the books?
Sorry, just PDF Ebooks.
This is by design and I put a lot of thought into it. My rationale is as follows:
- I use LaTeX to layout the text and code to give a professional look and I am afraid that EBook readers would mess this up.
- The increase in supported formats would create a maintenance headache that would take a large amount of time away from updating the books and working on new books.
- Most critically, reading on an e-reader or iPad is antithetical to the book-open-next-to-code-editor approach the PDF format was chosen to support.
My materials are playbooks intended to be open on the computer, next to a text editor and a command line. They are not reference texts to be read away from the computer.
Will I get free updates to the books?
All updates are free.
Books are usually updated once every month or two to fix bugs, typos and keep abreast of API changes.
Contact me anytime and check if there have been updates. Let me know what version of the book you have (version is listed on the copyright page).
How do I get access to any bonuses?
After you complete your purchase you will receive an email with a link to download your bundle.
The download will include the book or books and any bonus material.
Is there any digital rights management (DRM)?
Can I print the PDF for my personal use?
In what order should I read your books?
My best advice is to pick a topic that most interests you and start there.
Can I get a customized bundle of books?
Sorry, I cannot create custom bundles of books for you, it would create a maintenance nightmare for me. I’m sure you can understand.
You can see the full catalog of my books and bundles here.
Can I get an evaluation copy of your books?
Sorry, I no longer distribute evaluation copies of my books due to some past abuse of the privilege.
If you are a teacher or lecturer, I’m happy to offer you a student discount.
Contact me and ask for the discount.
Can I get an invoice for my purchase?
Email me with the details of your order (order number or email address used to make the purchase) and details you would like to appear on the invoice (your name, company name and address).
I will create a PDF invoice for you and email it back.
How long do books take to ship?
There are no physical books, therefore no shipping is required.
All books are EBooks that you can download immediately after you complete your purchase.
Do you ship to my country?
There are no physical books, therefore no shipping is required.
All books are EBooks that you can download immediately after you complete your purchase.
I support purchases from any country via PayPal or Credit Card.
Can I have a discount?
I do offer a discount to students, teachers, and retirees.
Note: I only offer discounts on individual books, not on the bundles. This is because the bundles are already heavily discounted.
If you are a student, teacher or a retiree please contact me and ask for the discount.
Do you have any sales, deals, or coupons?
I generally don't do sales.
If I do have a special, such as around the launch of a new book, I only offer it to past customers and subscribers on my email list.
I do offer book bundles that offer a discount for a collection of related books.
Can I get a refund?
I am sorry to hear that you want a refund.
Please contact me directly with your purchase details (order number or email address used to make the purchase) and I will organize a refund.
Will you help me if I have questions?
Please contact me anytime with questions about machine learning or the books.
One question at a time please.
Also, each book has a final chapter on getting more help and further reading and points to resources that you can use to get more help.
Do I need to be a good programmer?
Not at all.
My material requires that you have a programmers mindset of thinking in procedures and learning by doing.
You do not need to be an excellent programmer to read and learn about machine learning algorithms.
How much math do I need to know?
No background in statistics, probability or linear algebra is required.
I teach using a top-down and results-first approach to machine learning. You will learn by doing, not learn by theory.
There are no derivations.
Any questions presented are explained in full and are only provided to make the explanation clearer, not more confusing.
How much machine learning do I need to know?
Only a little.
If you are a reader of my blog posts, then you know enough to get started.
I do my best to lead you through what you need to know, step-by-step.
How long will the book take me to complete?
I recommend reading one chapter per day.
Some students finish the book in a weekend.
Most students finish the book in a few weeks by working through it during nights and weekends.
How are your books different to other books?
My books are playbooks. Not textbooks.
They have no deep explanations of theory, just working examples that are laser-focused on the information that you need to know to bring machine learning to your project.
My books are not for everyone, they are carefully designed for practitioners that need to get results, fast.
How are your books different from the blog?
The books are a concentrated and more convenient version of what I put on the blog.
I design my books to be a combination of lessons and projects to teach you how to use a specific machine learning tool or library and then apply it to real predictive modeling problems.
The books get updated with bug fixes, updates for API changes and the addition of new chapters, and these updates are totally free.
I do put some of the book chapters on the blog as examples, but they are not tied to the surrounding chapters or the narrative that a book offers and do not offer the standalone code files.
With each book, you also get all of the source code files used in the book that you can use as recipes to jump-start your own predictive modeling problems.
How are the 2 algorithms books different?
The book “Master Machine Learning Algorithms” is for programmers and non-programmers alike that learn through worked examples. It teaches you how 10 top machine learning algorithms work, with worked examples in arithmetic, not code (and spreadsheets) that show how each model learns and makes predictions.
The book “Machine Learning Algorithms From Scratch” is for programmers that learn by writing code to understand. It provides step-by-step tutorials on how to implement top algorithms as well as how to load data, evaluate models and more. It has less on how the algorithms work, instead focusing exclusively on how to implement each in code.
The two books can support each other.
Is there a team or company-wide license?
Due to abuse of the privilege, I only support purchases by individuals.
Is there a license for libraries?
Sorry, I only support purchases by individuals.
Do you have videos?
I only have tutorial lessons and projects in text format.
This is by design. I used to have video content and I found the completion rate much lower.
I want you to put the material into practice. I have found that text-based tutorials are the best way of achieving this.
After reading and working through the tutorials you are far more likely to apply what you have learned.
What operating systems are supported?
Linux, Mac OS X and Windows.
Can you be my mentor or coach?
Thanks for asking. I would love to help, but I just don't have the capacity.
I try to help as many people as possible through my blog and books.
Can I purchase from Amazon (or elsewhere)?
My books can only be purchased from my website.
The reason is that I am a small business and I want a direct relationship with you, my customer, so that I can offer personal support and send out updates about your book and new stuff I am working on.
I hope you can understand my rationale.
What if my download link expires?
It is possible that your link to download your purchase will expire after a few days.
This is a security precaution.
Please contact me and I will resend you purchase receipt with an updated download link.
Can I use your code in my own project?
But, understand that all code was developed and provided for educational purposes only and that I take no responsibility for it, what it might do or how you might use it.
Do you have another question?